Thursday, March 11, 2010

King of the Castle

September 1, 2007 was one of the happiest days of my life. It was an absolutely gorgeous day in New Jersey. Sunny with a few gorgeous billowy clouds. An amazing 70 degrees with a perfect breeze that cooled you just enough so you didn't break a sweat in the sun.

Every girl dreams of her wedding day. While I was never one to vividly map it out in my head, I always dreampt it would be a day surrounded by my family and those who have impacted my life in an important way.A day to cherish my life and all that has brought me to this moment. While I never knew who the man would be-- I had a few things on my wish list for things my husband would possess. Someone who loved his family and would love mine as much as I did. Someone with a heart of love and compassion for those in need. A man with strong morals and values, someone who was not afraid to stand on principle when the rest of the world was sitting down. A man who took care of those he loved and would do anything for the people that were important in his life. Someone who shared my faith and belief in God. Little did I know that every single one of my wish's would come true. I know that no one is perfect, but I do truly believe in my heart that there is something that is perfect for each person.

My husband and I have enjoyed every second of our marriage. For the past two years we have lived our lives how we wanted. We would get up and go whenever the mood struck. We planned random weekends away or vegged out on the couch for an entire rainy Sunday. We would go to midnight showings of movies that we had been dying to see. It has really truly been an amazing time to enjoy each other and the spontaneous newlywed life. Don't get me wrong, we have had some tough times. Times that have caused us some growing pains both individually and as a couple. We have argued and fought, we have had to adjust our lives and habits to ensure the sanity of the other person. Even to this day I am struggling with the socks that never seem to make it to the hamper, and the towels that never get hung up in the bathroom. But I can honestly say that each and every tough time has been doubled over with amazing blessings.


Over the course of the past three weeks our lives have taken a dramatic overhaul. Our time is so carefully planned. I am amazed at the transition a parent must go through in order to care for a newborn. It is no longer about us. I can not sit and have endless conversations with my sisters. My husband hasn't picked up the controller for his Playstation in days (which is huge for him).  I no longer have my phone permentantly connected to my hand. It takes me days to return the calls of friends. We have exactly 4 hours almost to the minute to do things before he is ready for his next bottle. He is a super easy and mellow baby, which I thank God for every second. It is no longer about my wants, my husbands desires. This little seven pound wonder dictates our lives. It is a transformation that both my husband and I needed. I think its something that is so valuable for every person to go through. To realize that the things you used to value and cherish really weren't all that great. To see that there is something so much bigger and better. Something so worthy of sacrifice that you will not want your life to go back to the way it was. Sure I hope that there will come a time when I can go for a day at the spa or even run to the corner store and not obsess about what my son is doing. I know that my husband will eventually be able to spend some time with his video games again. But this "growing up" process has been so needed in our lives and I am so grateful for this little guy and the amazing blessing he has been to our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by... I LOVE MY READERS ... and love it when you take the time to comment!!!