Sunday, March 14, 2010

to spoil or not to spoil. . . that is the question

Okay Mamas . . . here is the question, "At what point does a child become spoiled?"  Is it spoiling a child to pick him up and snuggle him when he cries? Is it spoiling him to rock him to sleep for naps and bedtime? Is it spending a nap keeping him wrapped up in my arms instead of putting him in his crib? The hubs seems to think that our precious, amazing baby boy is spoiled! How dare he!!!!  :o) 

Here are my thoughts-- He has spent the last 9 months warm and cozy in a sea of bliss. He never experienced pain, cold, or trauma until suddenly his mommy was shot up with Pitocin. He was evicted from the warm safe haven of my belly into a world where he was poked and prodded. He has been cold, hungry, and having to deal with his newly introduced crazy family.

I am all about getting him onto some sort of schedule. Having him nap and sleep in his bed and being able to get more then a few hours of sleep at night. I realize that this makes putting him to sleep for naps a little more difficult for others when they are watching him.  But I am also very much aware of the fact that kids grow up too quickly. I want to cherish every second I have with him and not rush to the next "landmark". So to my husband who says our baby is spoiled I say . . . "so what!"

He will sleep through the night just fine and is making great progress for only being 3 weeks old.  He is in his crib as we "speak" taking his afternoon nap and doing great.

1 comment:

  1. It's nearly impossible to spoil a three week old baby...in my opinion. I LOVE every memory of holding Bear while he slept in my arms as a newborn. You'll know when the time is right and when a habit is developing and change needs to happen. Soak up the opportunity to snuggle with your littlest man.

    When Bear was 5 or 6 months old and still not sleeping through the night, many people told me to let him cry it out. It felt so counter inuative. People said it would only get worse as he got older. I felt pretty certain that he just wasn't ready though...for whatever reason. He did sleep in his own crib but just woke up often in the night. Every baby is different and has their own unique needs from day one. Finally around 8 months I knew in my heart he was ready. A little bit of crying ensued but I felt he had a better sense of what I was communicating rather than just leaving him to cry in a dark room. Ahhh...I hate even thinking about the night I tried it. Now he sleeps through the night often but not always. I'm still ok with it and try to handle any wakings with wisdom and purpose...working toward our goal of independence but cherishing it along the way. The days are long but the years are short.

    You seem like a great mama! Keep savoring every moment. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by... I LOVE MY READERS ... and love it when you take the time to comment!!!