Monday, November 1, 2010

Makes My Monday - Family Traditions

It's funny because growing up Halloween was a big deal. My whole family (Aunts, Uncles, Cousins) would gather at my Grandparent's house. All of the kids and parents would go around the neighborhood while our Grandmom made the traditional Stew for dinner. I hate stew, but I loved the tradition.

Now that we are here in San Antonio, I'm sad that my husband's family doesn't celebrate. I get the whole "being Christian" thing and not wanting to celebrate something that has such a dark history. But I don't know .. for us... we knew about the other side of it, but we celebrated the day and season as a time to have fun, dress up as something funny, and most importantly get lots of candy.

So, since it was just me and little man,  I spent the day a bit sad. Okay not a bit, a lot!!! Another thing that is making me homesick and sad that this first year of his life is missing something.But, after he woke up from the nap, I realized that whether we were home or not, we were going to have a fun Halloween!!! We got dressed up as the cutest punkin' around and went to the few neighbors that we have gotten to know since moving. Sure it wasn't the big grand Halloween I'm used to, but at least it was something :o)


Adios Mis Amigos,

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the pumpkin costumes!!!

    Not to be harsh, but I think your husband's family is way off. Being Christian (and I am one) does not mean not celebrating Halloween.
    In fact, though many conservative Christians paint Halloween as "the Devil's holiday" or as being "demonic" Halloween's history is not at all dark or evil.

    The timing of Halloween originated with the Celtic rituals surrounding Samhain--which was a celebration of the end of the harvest and the beginning of winter. It included cleansing rituals and animal sacrifices (as did many Jewish celebrations). While this was not a Christian holiday, it was not evil or dark in any way.

    The name Halloween actually originates from "All Hallow's Eve" which is the night before All Saints Day--a Christian holiday that honors all the saints, known and unknown, who have died and are in Heaven.

    I've had family members of my own try to tell me that Halloween is an "evil" and "dark" holiday and that Christians should not celebrate it--it just shows that, for whatever reason, they are completely unfamiliar with the actual origins of this holiday.

    And costumes? Yeah, those originated to scare AWAY bad spirits.
    Anyway, I'm sorry your Halloween was disappointing, but I'm glad y'all got to go out and enjoy it for a bit! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by... I LOVE MY READERS ... and love it when you take the time to comment!!!